Tae Sang Yoo’s practice focuses on domestic and international corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and public offerings of securities. Mr. Yoo also regularly advises public company clients on securities regulation, compliance and corporate governance matters, including SEC filings and public disclosure matters and compliance with NYSE and NASDAQ corporate governance-related requirements.
Mr. Yoo has completed two secondments at a Fortune 500 consumer products company.
- Represented Enersis S.A., a Chilean electricity utility company that is part of the Enel-Endesa group of companies, in its record-breaking US$6 billion capital increase transaction registered with the SEC and the Chilean SVS. The transaction consisted of a US$3.6 billion in-kind contribution by Endesa S.A. of 16 operating companies located throughout Latin America and a global rights offering of shares and ADSs for approximately US$2.4 billion in cash.
- Represented ORBCOMM Inc. in:
- its US$72 million public registered offering of common stock in connection with its acquisition of SkyWave Mobile Communications Inc.; and
- multiple secondary registered offerings.
- Represented a private equity firm in connection with its sale of equity securities of a pharmaceutical company in a secondary registered offering.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented Fortune Brands, Inc. in the US$1.225 billion sale of its Acushnet Company subsidiary, the leading and most profitable golf equipment company in the world, featuring the iconic Titleist and FootJoy brands, to a group led by Fila Korea Ltd., the owner of the Fila sporting goods brand globally, and Mirae Asset Private Equity, the largest private equity firm in Korea.
- Represented GLG Partners, Inc., a NYSE-listed global asset manager, in its US$1.6 billion going-private acquisition by UK-based Man Group plc, a LSE-listed hedge fund, through a concurrent merger and stock exchange transaction. The transaction was reported to be the largest-ever cross-border merger between two publicly traded independent hedge funds, and it was honored as the "Largest Transaction of the Year" by the Hedge Fund Journal in 2010.
- Represented ALLETE Clean Energy, Inc. in the acquisition of a portfolio of 9 operating wind power projects in Minnesota from EDF Renewable Energy, Inc.
- Represented Eagle Creek Renewable Energy in its acquisition of:
- Ten hydroelectric power generation facilities from Algonquin Power and of North American Hydro Holdings LLC; and
- Sartell Hydro Project, located on the Mississippi River in Sartell, Minnesota, from American Industrial Metals, Inc.
Securities Compliance, Corporate Governance and Risk Oversight
- Represented Promotora y Operadora de Infraestructura, S.A.B. de C.V. (PINFRA), one of the largest owners and operators of concessions of infrastructure projects in Mexico, in its filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission in order to terminate its reporting obligations under the US Securities Exchange Act of 1934 in connection with a US$285 million Rule 144A and Regulation S global primary and secondary offering of ordinary shares of PINFRA.
- Advised a leading Korea-based electronics company on US securities laws and compliance matters.
- Represented Siemens Financial Services in connection with its investment in the:
- 778 MW Stonewall gas-fueled, combined-cycle power plant being developed by Panda Power Funds in Loudoun County, Virginia; and
- 1,124 MW Hummel Station gas-fueled, combined-cycle power plant being developed by Panda Power Funds in Snyder County, Pennsylvania.
- Represented Isolux Infrastructure Netherlands B.V. on corporate structuring and joint venture matters in connection with the concession to design, build, finance, operate and maintain the I-69 Section 5 Project in Indiana and related private activity bond financing.
- Represented Flatiron Construction Corpo and Dragados USA on corporate structuring and joint venture matters in connection with TxDOT’s procurement for the US 181 Harbor Bridge Replacement Project and related closing.