Kevin C. Smith represents public and private companies, private equity funds and other institutions on a wide array of corporate and securities law matters. Mr. Smith's extensive transactional practice includes representing clients in mergers and acquisitions, investments, joint ventures, dispositions, spin-offs and public and private debt and equity securities offerings, covering a broad range of industries, including manufacturing, energy, aerospace and defense, automotive, communications, software and technology. In addition to his transactional practice, Mr. Smith regularly advises public company clients on a wide range of securities law and corporate governance matters, including SEC filings and public disclosure matters, board and board committee matters, takeover defenses, equity-based compensation plans and compliance with NYSE and Nasdaq corporate governance-related requirements.
- Represented Rockwell Automation, Inc. in the spin-offs to its shareholders of Meritor Automotive, Inc. and Rockwell Collins, Inc., in its divestitures of its Power Systems business, FirstPoint Contact Corp. business and aerospace and defense businesses and its joint venture with Lockheed Martin to form United Space Alliance.
- Represented Rockwell Collins, Inc. in its acquisitions of ARINC Incorporated, Datapath, Inc., Anzus, Inc., and the simulation business of Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp., and its divestitures of its Rollmet business and its interest in Rockwell Scientific Company LLC.
- Represented Meritor, Inc. (and predecessors) in its acquisition of Morganton, NC manufacturing assets from Sypris Solutions, its "merger of equals” with Arvin Industries, Inc. to form ArvinMeritor, Inc., its acquisition of Lucas Varity plc’s Heavy Vehicle Braking Systems business and its divestiture of its Purolator filters business.
- Represented private equity firm Southern Cross Group in their investments in and acquisitions of Petrobras Chile Distribución Ltda., a Chilean fuel distribution company, Getronics LATAM, an integrated ICT products and services provider, Ultrapetrol (Bahamas) Limited, a Nasdaq-listed industrial transportation company, and Estrella International Energy Services Ltd., a TSXV-listed group of companies.
- Represented CA Technologies in its acquisitions of Base Technologies, Inc. and 4Base Technology, Inc.
- Represented DRS Technologies, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Consulting & Engineering for Next Generation Networks (CenGen).
- Represented Havas Worldwide in its joint venture with Alloy to form Alloy/ASL Marketing and in its acquisition of The Tyee Group.
- Represented Boeing in its joint venture with Lockheed Martin to form United Launch Alliance.
- Represented GE Energy Financial Services, Inc. in the acquisition from Enel Green Power North America, Inc. of a 49% interest in a portfolio of 46 renewable energy projects.
- Represented Iberdrola S.A. in the sale by Iberdrola USA of its natural gas utility businesses in Connecticut and Massachusetts to UIL Holdings Corporation and the sale by Iberdrola, together with TECO Energy, Inc. and EDP-Energias de Portugal, S.A., of Central American electric distribution company to Empresas Públicas de Medellí n E.S.P.
- Represented I-Squared Capital Advisors, LLC in its acquisition of a portfolio of hydroelectric and natural gas generation plants, transmission infrastructure and natural gas processing facilities in Latin America from Duke Energy Corporation.
- Represented Globalvia in its acquisition of the concession for the Pocahontas Parkway toll road in Virginia.
- Represented Apache Solar Energy, LLC (a subsidiary of The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.), Energy Power Partners, LLC and Apex Energy Solutions LLC in the sale of Solar Gen 2 LLC, the developer of a 150 MW (AC) solar photovoltaic electric generating project in Imperial Valley, California, to First Solar, Inc.
- Represented GDF Suez North America in its acquisition of controlling interests in Astoria Project Partners LLC.
- Represented the shareholders of TIBA Satellite Services, S.A., a premier provider of outsourced channel origination and transmission services in Latin America, in the sale of the company to Encompass Digital Media, a global leader in digital media services, controlled by Court Street Capital.
- Represented Harvard Industries in the sale of its automotive businesses in several transactions under Section 363 of the US Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented issuers (including Meritor, Inc., Rockwell Automation, Inc. and Rockwell Collins, Inc.) in connection with debt and equity security offerings.
The Legal 500 (2014, 2015 and 2016) recognized Mr. Smith for his work in Corporate and M&A, including US middle-market M&A and Latin America M&A.
Activities and affiliations
Mr. Smith is a member of the Society of Corporate Secretaries & Governance Professionals.