350 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90071
United States of America
+1 (213) 892-2025
Download a V-Card
Robin Ball has represented clients in complex disputes for over twenty years. His practice encompasses a broad range of federal and state litigation and arbitration matters, including product liability defense, commercial contract disputes, healthcare and insurance contractual and regulatory matters, energy-related disputes, and banking matters.
- Representing a beverage manufacturer in the defense of multiple putative nationwide class actions claiming that the words "All Natural" on certain of its product labels are false and misleading.
- Defense of pharmaceutical manufacturers in hundreds of high-profile product liability suits filed in state and federal courts throughout the United States over the past ten years. Cases involve complex procedural and scientific issues, with particular emphasis on defense of class actions. Obtained numerous dismissals with prejudice, including in cases potentially involving thousands of plaintiffs.
- Trial counsel for lenders in adversary bankruptcy proceeding challenging securitization of hundreds of millions of dollars in loans as a fraudulent transfer.
- Represented health insurer in an arbitration with a large hospital chain involving hundreds of thousands of claims and complex contractual, billing and regulatory issues.
- Defended French investors in federal litigation related to the rehabilitation of Executive Life Insurance Company involving contractual, fraud and other tort claims for over $900 Million.
- Representation of participants in the alternative energy sector in disputes involving contractual, regulatory and intellectual property issues.
- Represented an independent power producer during the California energy crisis; obtained the only preliminary injunction permitting an IPP to sell into the open market during the crisis.
- Representation of a health insurer in dispute with hospital chain which sold its assets and ceased performing contractual obligations to provide services to the insurer's members.
- Represented health insurers in disputes with hospitals and medical groups concerning hospital A/R issues, financially troubled medical groups, and a variety of other contractual and regulatory matters.
- Defended wage-and-hour class action involving workers supplied by a temporary staffing company.
- Represented an oil company in a suit by purchaser of former oil company property concerning sub-surface contamination.
Products Liability Counseling and Defense
Insurance and Reinsurance
- University of Chicago, B.A., general honors and special honors in political science, 1982
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1985
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Richard S. Arnold, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 1985-1987
- U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Division, 1987-1991