Marc Ashley has extensive experience representing domestic and foreign clients in various types of complex and high-stakes commercial litigation, with a focus on bankruptcy litigation, securities litigation, antitrust litigation and class actions. He has substantial trial, arbitration and regulatory investigation experience.
Before joining Chadbourne & Parke, Mr. Ashley worked at other prominent New York law firms, including Wachtell Lipton and Shearman & Sterling, representing corporate and individual clients in a broad range of high-profile business disputes.
- Currently representing the liquidators of a foreign company in a bankruptcy adversary proceeding against private equity firms and other defendants.
- Represented a major bond insurer in an adversary proceeding in the municipal bankruptcy case of the City of Detroit, Michigan.
- Represented the court-appointed Examiner in the ResCap bankruptcy; helped manage investigation of fraudulent transfer, fiduciary duty and related claims.
- Represented telecommunications company and certain officers and directors in securities fraud class action litigation and related regulatory proceedings; helped negotiate $2.5 billion cross-border class action settlement.
- Represented Creditors’ Committee in investigating and pursuing certain claims arising out of the bankruptcy of the Tribune Company.
- Represented financial advisor in investment advisory fee dispute; first-chaired trial and negotiated favorable settlement.
- Represented telecommunications company in $100 million securities fraud action; obtained dismissal of all claims in federal district and appellate courts.
- Represented automotive parts manufacturer and certain officers and directors in securities, ERISA and derivative litigation; helped negotiate class action settlement in context of bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented European paper manufacturer in federal and state antitrust class action litigation; obtained dismissal of all actions.
- Represented reinsurer in complex insurance action; obtained federal appellate court affirmance of dismissal of fraud and RICO claims.
- Represented officers and directors of Chinese company in securities fraud class and derivative actions in federal and state courts.
- Represented building products manufacturer in securities fraud class action litigation.
- Represented European carbon products manufacturer in antitrust class action litigation.
- Represented pharmacy benefit manager in antitrust class action litigation.
- Represented European air cargo carrier in antitrust class action litigation.
- Represented bar review provider in antitrust class action litigation.
- Represented electronic equipment manufacturer in securities fraud class action litigation.
- Represented media company in expedited exchange offer litigation.
- Represented chemical products manufacturer in expedited merger litigation.
- Represented workers of several New York City restaurants in pro bono wage and hour litigation, helping to secure favorable settlements of claims in a series of cases.
In 2014, Mr. Ashley received the "Community Service Award" from the Urban Justice Center’s Community Development Project for his outstanding pro bono work on behalf of exploited restaurant workers in several federal-court litigation matters.