A leader and pioneer in Latin America since the 1980's, Chadbourne & Parke LLP is one of a select few U.S. law firms ranked by 2013 Chambers Latin America and the inaugural issue of Legal 500 Latin America 2012 for its work across multiple disciplines, including Corporate/M&A, Capital Markets, Banking and Finance, Projects and International Arbitration. We combine our attorneys' local expertise with the support of our 12 international offices, to provide seamless global service.
Chadbourne uniquely combines its legal excellence with entrepreneurship and sound business advice. Our forward-thinking approach has contributed to the growth of our practice as Latin American economies continue to expand and develop.
Practice group highlights include:
- Chadbourne is one of only two New York headquartered law firms with offices in both Brazil and Mexico, the two largest markets in Latin America.
- Twelve Chadbourne partners are focused exclusively on Latin America, including the former president of the Mexican Bar Association and a former principal of a private equity firm.
- Chadbourne teams focus on the following disciplines:
- Bank Finance
- Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Capital Markets
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Litigation and Arbitration
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Products Liability
- Project Finance
- Structured and Trade Finance
- Chadbourne has extensive experience in many of the region's major industries, including:
- Alternative Energy
- Consumer Products
- Financing Institutions
- Food and Beverage
- Mining and Metals
- Oil and Gas
- Real Estate
Awards and Achievements
- 2013 Chambers Latin America - Chadbourne received rankings for its Latin America-wide practice in all six Latin America-wide ranking categories: Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate/M&A, Insurance, International Arbitration and Projects
- 2013 Chambers Latin America - Mexico ranked Chadbourne in Capital Markets, Corporate/M&A, Dispute Resolution: Arbitration and ranked Brazil in Banking and Finance
- Legal 500 Latin America 2012 - Chadbourne received rankings in all five Legal 500 categories for international firms: Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate/M&A, International Arbitration and Projects and Energy
Latin America "Deal of the Year"
- Emgesa was Nominated at 2012 IFLR Americas Awards as Debt and Equity Linked "Deal of the Year."
- The Taboada Wastewater Treatment Plant Project was Nominated at the 2012 IFLR Americas Awards as the "Project Finance Deal of the Year."
- Fovissste was Nominated at 2012 IFLR Americas Awards as the Structured Finance and Securitization "Deal of the Year."
- 2012 Latin Finance recognized Aeropuertos Argentina 2000 S.A.'s $300 million secured bond offering as the "Structured Financing Deal of the Year."
- Project Finance recognized the $165 million financing of the 44 MW Thin Film Solar Photovoltaic GTS Majes and GTS Reparticion Projects located in southern Peru as the "Latin American Renewables Deal of the Year."
A selection of Chadbourne’s signature representations in Latin America follows:
- Only issuance by a Latin American company of 100-year bonds
- Three of the largest cross-border tender offers in the past decade
- First takeover/tender offer of a U.S. registered and listed Venezuelan company
- First ADR-driven proxy contest relating to control of a Latin American company
- First Brazilian utility to be listed on the U.S. Stock Exchange
- First Latin American real estate company to be listed on a U.S. stock exchange
- First Latin American agricultural company to be listed on a U.S. stock exchange
- First registered rights offering by a Latin American issuer
- First U.S. prepackaged Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing for a Latin American company with no operations in the U.S.
- Largest industrial energy joint venture project in South America
- Largest arbitration in Mexico
Agreement to Build and Operate Delayed Coker Unit at Chilean Refinery
Empresa Nacional del Petróleo
Consortium led by Chile's state oil company in connection with an agreement to finance, build and operate a $430 million delayed coker unit at ENAP's Aconcagua refinery.
[ more representative experience ]
J. Allen Miller
+1 (212) 408-5454
Talbert I. Navia
+1 (212) 408-5316
or +55 (11) 3372-0000
Local Office Contacts