Kevin Smith represents public and private companies and other institutions on a wide array of corporate and securities law matters. Mr. Smith's extensive transactional experience includes representing clients in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, dispositions, spin-offs and public and private debt and equity securities offerings, ranging in size from a few million to billions of dollars and covering a broad range of industries, including manufacturing, energy, aerospace and defense, automotive, communications, software and technology. In addition to his transactional practice, Mr. Smith regularly advises public company clients on securities law matters. He also counsels companies on a wide range of corporate governance matters, including board and board committee matters.
- Represented Rockwell Automation, Inc. in the spin-offs to its shareholders of Meritor Automotive, Inc. and Rockwell Collins, Inc. and in its divestitures of its Power Systems business, FirstPoint Contact business and aerospace and defense businesses.
- Represented Rockwell Collins, Inc. in its acquisitions of Anzus, Inc. and the simulation business of Evans & Sutherland Computer Corporation.
- Represented GDF Suez North America in its acquisition of controlling interests in Astoria Project Partners LLC.
- Represented Iberdrola in the sale of its natural gas utility businesses in Connecticut and Massachusetts to UIL Holdings Corporation.
- Represented Southern Cross Latin America Private Equity Funds III and IV and certain of their affiliates in connection with their investment of $220 million in Ultrapetrol (Bahamas) Limited, a Nasdaq-listed industrial transportation company serving marine transportation needs in river, offshore supply and ocean markets.
- Represented Southern Cross Latin America Private Equity Fund IV, L.P. in its CAD$25 million investment for a 55.7% ownership interest in Estrella International Energy Services Ltd., a TSXV-listed group of companies engaged in providing services to the petroleum, mining and geothermal industries in Latin America.
- Represented Apache Solar Energy, LLC (a subsidiary of The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.), Energy Power Partners, LLC and Apex Energy Solutions LLC in the sale of Solar Gen 2 LLC, the developer of a 150-megawatt (AC) solar photovoltaic electric generating project in Imperial Valley, California, to First Solar.
- Represented CA Technologies in its acquisitions of Base Technologies, Inc. and 4Base Technology, Inc.
- Represented DRS Technologies in connection with its acquisition of Consulting & Engineering for Next Generation Networks (CenGen).
- Represented the shareholders of TIBA Satellite Services, S.A., a premier provider of outsourced channel origination and transmission services in Latin America, in the sale of the company to Encompass Digital Media, a global leader in digital media services.
- Represented Havas Worldwide in its joint venture with Alloy to form Alloy/ASL Marketing.
- Represented Meritor Automotive, Inc. in its "merger of equals” with Arvin Industries, Inc. to form ArvinMeritor, Inc. and in its acquisition of Lucas Varity plc’s Heavy Vehicle Braking Systems business.
- Represented ArvinMeritor, Inc. in its divestiture of its Purolator filters business.
- Represented Boeing in its joint venture with Lockheed Martin to form United Launch Alliance.
- Represented Rockwell International in its joint venture with Lockheed Martin to form United Space Alliance.
- Represented issuers (including ArvinMeritor, Inc., Rockwell Automation, Inc. and Rockwell Collins, Inc.) in connection with debt and equity security offerings.
- Represented Harvard Industries in the sale of its automotive businesses in several transactions under Section 363 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
The Legal 500 (2014 and 2015) recognized Mr. Smith for his work in mergers and acquisitions.
Activities and affiliations
Mr. Smith is a member of the Society of Corporate Secretaries & Governance Professionals.