Expense Reimbursement Guidelines
(OUT OF TOWN STUDENTS ONLY)
- Requests for reimbursement of expenses will be processed after a NALP Travel Expense Reimbursement Form is completed in full and accompanied by receipts. Only expenses directly related to interviewing will be reimbursed. Complete and accurate expense reports are processed promptly, usually within two weeks. Please TYPE or PRINT LEGIBLY, attach all receipts (originals or clear copies), and CHECK YOUR ARITHMETIC; reimbursement of incomplete and inaccurate expense reports will be delayed.
- If you plan to interview with more than one New York firm, it is preferable that your schedule more than one firm per trip.
- Weekend expenses involving weekday interviews will be your responsibility. If interviewing with numerous firms during the week necessitates staying into a weekend, you should obtain authorization from us before incurring weekend expenses. We will not reimburse unauthorized weekend expenses.
- All reimbursements are appropriately pro rated unless we have agreed in advance to a specific exception.
- Round-trip coach air, train or bus fare is billed directly to the firm if booked through our travel representative, Protravel. You may reach Christine Canavan at Protravel by telephone at 1-877-702-2600.
- We reimburse taxi fares to and from airports and between the hotel and our firm on the interview day. Transportation costs incurred for a student's own entertainment will not be reimbursed.
- Traveling by car into Manhattan is discouraged. For a few candidates, however, driving may be the most convenient and practical choice. We reimburse mileage expenses at the rate of 50.5 cents per mile, which includes fuel expenses. In addition, we will reimburse toll and parking expenses; receipts are required.
- Fees for rental cars will be reimbursed only in exceptional situations. Please call us first.
- Please be prepared to cover the cost of your hotel expenses until we reimburse you. The firm has direct billing arrangements with only a few hotels on an 'as available' basis; therefore, it is likely a reservation will be booked for you elsewhere. The firm does not generally advance hotel expenses.
- For students traveling a long distance (e.g., Los Angeles or San Francisco to New York), the firm will reimburse the cost of one night at a hotel upon arrival, plus one additional night at a hotel for each consecutive day that the candidate interviews at two firms that have agreed to share these expenses.
- For students traveling a short distance (e.g., Boston or Washington, D.C. to New York), the firm will authorize one night at a hotel for the evening before morning interviews. If you have an afternoon interview, Chadbourne will reimburse your hotel expenses for the evening after your interviews.
Reasonable meal expenses will be reimbursed. We consider $15 for breakfast, $20 for lunch, and $40 for dinner to be the maximum acceptable costs. Meal expenses of your guest(s) are not reimbursed.
Entertainment, Telephone and Personal Expenses
- Entertainment expenses (i.e. renting a movie, gym facilities, or partaking in New York's night life) are not reimbursed.
- Reasonable local telephone calls will be reimbursed. Long distance telephone calls will be reimbursed, up to $5.00 per day.
- Other personal expenses such as dry cleaning and toiletries, for example, are not reimbursed.