Chadbourne lawyers regularly advise investment advisers on the formation and ongoing management of funds and on the regulatory and compliance aspects of their businesses. We regularly counsel private funds, investment companies and separately managed accounts on structuring, organization, distribution and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) regulatory and compliance issues, including responses to SEC examinations.
Chadbourne’s fund formation and investment management practice includes the creation of new advisory businesses, including registration and formation with appropriate regulatory authorities, creation of disclosure documents for private funds, drafting of investment management products, evaluating fund documents for institutional investors seeking alternative investments, development of compliance policies and procedures, performing compliance reviews, representations of advisers in connection with SEC examinations, counseling clients on compliance with the Dodd-Frank Act and adviser acquisitions. Our lawyers advise clients with respect to compliance with, and exemptions from, the Investment Advisers Act and the Investment Company Act.
Chadbourne’s lawyers provide entrepreneurial, pragmatic and proactive advice to the Firm’s private funds clients. Our experience covers fund formation, management structuring, deal execution and regulatory advice across a broad range of fund classes, including buyout, venture capital, hedge, real estate, mezzanine, distressed and funds of funds.
As a full-service firm, we strive to provide our clients with a “one-stop shop” in the fund formation and investment management area. Our other complementary practice areas include US and international taxation, employee benefits and ERISA, mergers and acquisitions, bank, finance, securities and corporate governance, project finance, communications, real estate, litigation, insurance/reinsurance, bankruptcy and restructuring, intellectual property and trusts and estates. Lawyers in our fund formation and investment management area practice collectively speak ten languages, providing special capabilities in support of our emerging markets clients.
The core practice of our fund formation and investment management business involves advising our clients on the following types of matters, among others:
- Private equity and hedge fund formations
- Establishment and acquisition of alternative asset managers, and the ongoing management of their funds and separately managed accounts
- Regulatory matters
- Investments in private funds, including the evaluation of fund documents for alternative investments
We regularly advise alternative asset managers and investment advisers on the formation of hedge funds and on related aspects of their businesses. This includes, among other things:
- Establishing a full spectrum of hedge fund products using a variety of hedge fund structures
- Advising hedge fund managers on all their corporate, tax and regulatory needs
- Creating disclosure and offering documents for hedge funds
- Representing institutional investors on their investments in hedge funds, including the evaluation of fund documents for alternative investments