Andrew Giaccia is Chadbourne's Managing Partner and a member of the firm's five-person Management Committee.
Mr. Giaccia has concentrated on the practice of environmental law for more than 25 years and serves as the head of Chadbourne’s Environmental Group. He spends substantial time on Federal Clean Air Act, Superfund, Endangered Species Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, Clean Water Act and other environmental matters, including the environmental laws affecting the financing and construction of power generation and infrastructure projects and the purchase and sale of commercial enterprises. He works on transactional environmental issues, permitting matters and environmental arbitrations and litigation in federal and state courts and before administrative agencies. Mr. Giaccia also counsels clients on the remediation, rehabilitation and redevelopment of environmentally impaired properties.
Mr. Giaccia has considerable working knowledge of foreign and international environmental requirements, as well as the environmental standards and procedures of multilateral lending institutions.
Mr. Giaccia previously served as the firm’s Executive Partner and has been the Managing Partner of the Washington, DC office for 10 years.
- Management and identification of environmental regulatory and permitting issues in more than 100 project finance transactions involving power plants, pipelines and numerous other forms of infrastructure.
- Environmental due diligence for numerous corporate acquisitions and divestitures, including negotiation of environmental terms and obligations in primary and ancillary agreements.
- Litigation and arbitration of environmental indemnification disputes arising out of mergers and acquisitions.
- Defense of governmental enforcement actions asserting violations of environmental law at both the federal and state level.
- Litigation of Superfund and other types of environmental remediation claims.
- Counseling manufacturing companies and other commercial entities on compliance with and developments in environmental laws.
- Negotiating transactions involving the sale or transfer of emissions credits, including greenhouse gas credits and counseling clients with respect to greenhouse gas issues.
Activities and affiliations
Mr. Giaccia has been a member of the District of Columbia Bar (Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Section) and the American Bar Association (Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section).